>From what I understand it is possible to run the Tomcat servlet
implementation without running a web server like Apache httpd. I am
writing an application that receives SOAP messages via HTTP, and I would
like to use the servlet API, but not run anything as heavyweight as a
web server.

What JAR libraries do I need in my classpath that represents Tomcat and
the servlet API? Can I distribute these JARs with my application?

How do I start and stop Tomcat programmatically from my application?

cheers,
        Simon