More on...

http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user%40jakarta.apache.org/msg37534.html

I am having the same problem when trying to use xalan within tomcat 4.0.1

Xalan includes a xerces.jar file which I copied to
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/mywebapp/WEB-INF/lib

1 - If placing crimson.jar and jaxp.jar files in the above directory is the
solution, where can I get those versions?

2 - It seems that jasper in tomcat 4.0.1 is using xerces.jar instead of
crimson.jar , am I right ?

3 - I hope somebody in this beautiful world will sometime write an article
or book on "conflicting issues between xml parsers when using tomcat".  Just
kidding.