>       1.  If Java throws an OutOfMemoryException, there is no
> more memory
> to collect.  Java guarantees that before the exception is
> thrown the garbage
> collector has run.  If you get these exceptions then you still have
> references to the memory.

Hmmm.  I know this is in the spec, but I am not convinced that it works
perfectly.

Our application was load tested recently and suffered from this exception.
I added a piece of code that calls system.gc() if the free/avail memory <
20%.  This code is run at the end of each users call to our jspService in
our main jsp.  We ran the load test again and did not get the exception.
*No* other changes were made.  Timeout was not reduced, *nothing*, repeat
*nothing* else was changed.

My conclusion was that the gc needs a small amount of memory *in* the
*sandbox* to run, so if you leave it too late (we were eating memory at a
hell of a rate) it is not possible.  I appreciate that this is not
necessarily a correct conclusion!

J.
--
You're only jealous cos the little penguins are talking to me.

For more information on Ordnance Survey products and services,
visit our web site at http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk