I am trying to write a Java Web Start application which will use SSL to talk
to a servlet running on Tomcat.  If I don't use SSL my application can talk
just fine to my servlet.  I also can run servlets on Tomcat using SSL
without any problem.  However, when I use SSL I get the following error from
my JWS application:  "javax.net.ssl.SSLException: untrusted server cert
chain".  According to the JWS forum this is caused by my having created and
signed my own cert for Tomcat's SSL.  Since I am only a single developer, I
can not afford to go out and purchase a real cert at a cost of several
hundred dollars.  I do however, have a personal cert from Thwarte I use to
sign email.  Can I export this cert and build a keystore Tomcat can use?  I
am assuming Thwarte certs are trusted and will get me past this problem.
Thanks,

Jim Urban
Product Manager
Netsteps Inc.