Richard S. Huntrods wrote:

>Greetings!
>
>Well, I fixed the "problem" completely!
>
>I checked the jar files I was using in JDK/jre/lib/ext against the ones
>in Tomcat 4.0.1, and the file "servlet.jar" was larger and newer.
>Although I'm using JDK 1.3 on my machine, servlet.jar (and a number of
>other JAVAX jar files) come from the Sun site as "add ins".
>
>I tried replacing my older "servlet.jar" with the one in
>TOMCAT/common/lib, and everything works, including (non-classpath)
>compiles!  This is not only great news, but solves all my Tomcat 4.0 /
>4.0.1 problems!
>
>So - I would say the key thing here with "add on" jar files is that
>whatever you have in Tomcat library directories MUST BE IDENITCAL with
>whatever you have in your JDK, especially the JDK/jre/lib/ext
>directory.  I have identical copies of mail.jar, activation.jar and
>servlet.jar in both places, and *now that they are identical copies*,
>Tomcat 4.0.1 works perfectly.
>
>Cheers,
>
>-Richard
>

>--
>For additional commands: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Troubles with the list: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Richard,

I don't mess with CLASSPATH or the copying the jar files to
JDK/jre/lib/ext directory.  I use JBuilder 5 Personal to compile my java
classes.  That way you just point the IDE to the libs that you want to
include in the project.  You can tell the IDE to use the jar's that
Tomcat is currently using without copying them to another directory (as
well as Struts or anything else you are using).

P.S. JBuilder 5 Personal is free from Borland. :)

Barry