It is normal to see the CLASSPATH, JAVA_HOME, and
TOMCAT_HOME echoed just before Tomcat is actually started.
I can't explain why you would not see some sort of error
if Tomcat 3.3 was not starting successfully.  Are you
using the tar.gz or the RPM installation?  Have there
been any modifications to the default installation?

Cheers,
Larry