Christian,

I really wish Mac OS X was for rookies, but it is by far not the fact.
Actually, one needs considerable expertise to deal with the Mac OS X,
because Apple does not follow the standards.  It seems that most things in
the /etc directory are just ignored.  Take creating new users and groups.
This facility is done through NetInfo, which is a LDAP-like binary file.
This facility using commmands newuser doesn't work, so some scripters
created scripts that dump the whole binary file to ascii, edits the ascii,
  and converts it back to binary.  Other times, the directories for
installs and libraries are stored in unnatural places (usually under the
/Library tree or /System tree).

As for Apache, one would think they could click on the little jeweled
button called start, but this is not the case.  The http.conf has to
edited, which cannot be done as root, but then root is disabled, and can
only be enabled by using NetInfo facility (the LDAP-like library).

There is a strong need for documentation in this department because newer
users starting out will most likely have more difficulties.  For me
personally, I gave up and simply used Linux-PPC on my Titanium...

  - jm