From: Randy Layman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 9:21 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Invoking a process on the server from a servlet

        A few other thoughts of accomplishing the same thing:
        1.  You could enable Interact with desktop in the service that would
allow it to open windows (but open huge security holes).  Also if your site
gets popular this will consume lots of memory when you can't close the
windows as fast as they are opening.
        2.  Instead of opening a process you could send a message (via TCP)
to an application that would catch it and display the message
        3.  Instead of opening a process you could update some internal list
and then have a web page (access restricted if you want) that would display
the results.  Then you could do an auto-refresh header if you desired.
        4.  Make Tomcat SNMP enabled and then pass messages to the monitor
interface.  Then have your corporate management application listen for the
events and display messages accordingly.