It's an annoyance . . . . .

This is a standard worm attack.  Patched IIS servers
are immune.  Tomcat should be immune (the fact that
you are getting invalid URI entries in your log
suggests that you are).  Apache is immune.

This attack can still fill up IIS logs, while it just
puts one entry in Apache and Tomcat logs.  I think it
can be used for DOS on IIS still, but that's about it.

About once a week I run a little script that pulls
these entries out of the log, and does a reverse
lookup on the offenders.  I can then do a whois to
find out the ISP, and the abuse mail address.

Unfortunately, many of these sites are basically home
computers attached by DSL or cable modem.  The owners
are often unaware that their Win/2K or Win/NT boxes
are launching these attacks.

In short, outside of using Apache to redirect the
attacks or possibly a content filtering firewall in
front of your web server, there's not much that can be
done.

Welcome to the Internet for everyone . . .

Just my two cents - /mde/