Can anyone explain the purpose of the worker.tomcat_home,  worker.java_home
and ps entries in mod_jk's workers.properties file?

My understanding is that workers.properties is used only to configure the
mod_jk webserver plugin, and I'm at a loss to see why that would need to
know anything about Tomcat or Java. (Anything that Tomcat needs to know
should surely be specified in the server.xml configuration file anyway).

Indeed when mod_jk is deployed on a system without either Java or Tomcat
installed (because these are running on a different host) these entries are
meaningless - and things seem to work OK if you just miss them out.

What am I missing?

Thanks, John.