I don't thik that that will work. Tomcat uses/needs some of the
interfaces and classes that where added in the newer jars. So I
guess that you would get some ClassNotFoundExceptions.

But to get one step back, what exactly is the problem, as the
servlet spec is quite backward compatible it should be in mosts
cases no problem to just use the servlet 2.2 spec in your own
files.

<snip/>
> Is it possible to install Tomcat 4.0.1, yet configure the
> server to only support the older spec levels?  If it is not
configurable,
> would replacing the servlet.jar file with an older version (perhaps
the one
> from Tomcat 3.3.x) work to accomplish this goal?
<snip/>