I checked the "jasper-xxx.log" file, it has exceptions saying that it cannot
find method, getResourceAsStream
(String) . I also got the same kind of error when I ran the example
Servlets, it says it can not find method getSession() in HttpServletRequest.
I have all the necessary jar files in the $TOMCAT_HOMElib/coomon directory.

the Stack Trace for the jsp error is here,

2002-01-29 12:55:25 - JspReader: Exception parsing file
/jsp/num/numguess.jsp -
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: javax.servlet.ServletContext: method
getResourceAsS
tream(Ljava/lang/String;)Ljava/io/InputStream; not found
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspReader.pushFile(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspReader.pushFile(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspReader.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspReader.createJspReader(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.tomcat.facade.JasperLiaison.jsp2java(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.tomcat.facade.JasperLiaison.processJspFile(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.tomcat.facade.JspInterceptor.requestMap(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.processRequest(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.modules.server.Ajp13Interceptor.processConnection(U
nknown Source)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(Unknown
 Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:475)

thank you,
Satish