From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 7:17 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: JasperLoader Exception

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Pavel Brun wrote:

> Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 18:34:41 -0500
> From: Pavel Brun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: JasperLoader Exception
>
> thanks.....was it within code related to Tomcat? Or your own code that
does
> the calling to an RMI server???

Tomcat 4 has zero calls to System.setSecurityManager in it.  If you start
it with the appropriate command line option (-security), the standard
startup scripts add the following system property settings to the command
line:

    -Djava.security.manager
    -Djava.security.policy==$CATALINA_BASE/conf/catalina.policy

which tells the JVM to install a security manager at startup time, using
the specified policy file as a replacement for the one in the JDK
directory (that's what the '==' does).

If you start Tomcat without a security manager, and some code that is
executed calls System.setSecurityManager, that is exactly what the JVM
does.  (Of course, if somebody calls System.exit() it will shut down
Tomcat as well :-).

Moral of the story - you are advised to bone up on how security managers
work in Java, and run Tomcat with the "-security" option at startup time.
You'll need to add any permissions your apps require to the
catalina.policy file (the default sandbox is fairly restrictive), but you
can avoid some nasty things that bad code (or inadvertently called code)
might do to you.

Craig McClanahan