What does your context for your app look
like?

-----Original Message-----
From: Liam Holohan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 05 February 2002 16:30
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: deploying WARs in different locations..(web.xml error)

Hi all ..
I'm having difficulity in getting my wars to unpack into "non standard
locations"

I have tomcat4.0 + apache 1.3.22 running on Red hat Linux 7.2
Using mod_webapp and seems to be working fine

Did a search on google and mailing lists but to no avail.
At wits end :-(

Tomcat is installed into /home/wasp/tomcat/4.0/
Tomcat conf files are in /home/wasp/tomcat/4.0/conf/server.xml etc..
Apache is in /home/wasp/apache/1.3.22/ etc..
The document root of my virtual hosts are in
/home/wasp/vhosts/virtual_host_name

I want to deploy a web app (war file "app-example.war", build with
jbuilder and examined with jar and looks ok) into a virtual host called
www.test.com
i.e /home/wasp/vhosts/www.test.com/htdocs/webapps

It seems to recognise the context "app-example" I want to set up but
does not read the WEB-INF/web.xml file inside the war ??

I keep getting an error "WEB-INF/web.xml" not found
i.e in my
/home/wasp/vhosts/www.test.com/logs/www.test.com-2002-02-05-app-example-context.log
(custom log for virtual host www.test.com set up in server.xml)

StandardContext[/app-example]: Configuring default Manager
StandardContext[/app-example]: Processing standard container startup
WebappLoader[/app-example]: Deploying class repositories to work
directory /home/wasp/tomcat/4.0/work/www.test.com/app-example
WebappLoader[/app-example]: Reloading checks are enabled for this Context
StandardManager[/app-example]: Seeding random number generator class
java.security.SecureRandom
StandardManager[/app-example]: Seeding of random number generator has
been completed
ContextConfig[/app-example]: ContextConfig: Processing START
StandardContext[/app-example]: Setting deployment descriptor public ID
to '-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN'
ContextConfig[/app-example]: Missing application web.xml, using defaults
only.........

StandardWrapper[/app-example:invoker]: Loading container servlet invoker
invoker: init
StandardWrapper[/app-example:jsp]: Using Jasper classloader for servlet jsp
jsp: init
Internal Error: File /WEB-INF/web.xml not found

my config details are....

in httpd.conf
<VirtualHost 10.20.32.13>
     ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     DocumentRoot /home/wasp/vhosts/www.test.com/htdocs
     ServerName www.test.com
     TransferLog /home/wasp/vhosts/www.test.com/logs/www.test.com-xferlog
     ErrorLog /home/wasp/vhosts/www.test.com/logs/www.test.com-errorlog

     WebAppConnection www.test.com.warpConnection-8008 warp 10.20.32.13:8008
     WebAppDeploy app-example www.test.com.warpConnection-8008 /app-example
</VirtualHost>

in server/xml ..

   <!-- Define an Apache-Connector Service -->
   <Service name="Tomcat-Apache Virtual Host Warp connector Service">
     <Connector
className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector" port="8008"
minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75" enableLookups="false"
acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>
     <Engine className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpEngine"
name="www.test.com" debug="1"
appBase="/home/wasp/vhosts/www.test.com/htdocs/webapps">
prefix="www.test.com-" suffix="-engine.log" timestamp="false"/>
       <Host name="www.test.com" debug="0"
appBase="/home/wasp/vhosts/www.test.com/htdocs/webapps" unpackWARs="true">
directory="/home/wasp/vhosts/www.test.com/logs" prefix="www.test.com-"
suffix="-tomcat.log" timestamp="false"/>
directory="/home/wasp/vhosts/www.test.com/logs"  prefix="www.test.com-"
suffix="-tomcat-access.log" pattern="common"/>
         <Context path=""
docBase="/home/wasp/vhosts/www.test.com/htdocs/webapps/" debug="0"/>
         <Context path="/app-example"
docBase="/home/wasp/vhosts/www.test.com/htdocs/webapps/app-example.war"
debug="1" reloadable="true">
directory="/home/wasp/vhosts/www.test.com/logs" prefix="www.test.com-"
suffix="-app-example-context.log" timestamp="false"/>
         </Context>
       </Host>
     </Engine>
   </Service>

any help or pointers to sombody who has the same problem would be great !!

Thx in advance
Liam