Hi,
Thanks for your replies. I tested both of your methods and mine too. But in
all the cases I found the date to be inserted Random as "1899" or "1905" or
so on.

cal = Calendar.getInstance();
  cal.set(year,month,date);
  sqlDate = new java.sql.Date(cal.getTime().getTime());

or

totdate = year+"-"+month+"-"+date;

I printed the selected date in the browser, I see correct date as selected
by me in the browser. But when I look at the SQL server I see the date
inserted randomly. Could you please tell me where the problem is?

Uma