Hello all,

I am new to the mailing list. I am sending this email to get your suggestion
on the architecture that our company is thinking about.

We have a 2 tier client/server application developed in Powerbuilder/Sybase
which has 2 versions for it - An offline and an online. The offline version
of the application runs on a laptop and it access a local database. About
60% of the functionality is common amongst the offline and online version of
the application. The users (we call them field representatives) do their
daily work using this offline application and after each day's work they
sync the offline data with the online database (Sybase) by dialing to our
company's intranet.
The users need to dial to our intranet inorder to access the online
application. The online application is predominantly used by field managers
and users from other departments. This application is very complex and the
complexity in terms of Function Points is 5500. The approximate number of
users for this application is 2000. This application is also rich in GUI.

We plan to web enable a certain portion of this application. The
architecture proposed is to use BEA Weblogic 6.1 as the middle tier server
for the Online application and to use Tomcat Servlet engine in the field
rep's laptop for the Offline application. So as per the proposed
architecture, Tomcat servlet engine needs to installed in 2000 different
laptops. The front end will be implemented using JSP/Servlets. The following
are the goals that we want to achieve.

1) Achieve maximum code re-usability. Since both Weblogic and Tomcat are
J2EE compliant, we should be able to achieve this to some extent.

2) We want a very thin client.

3) We might go the wireless way, which means that the offline application
will be deprecated. So inorder to meet the bandwidth limits, we want to
transfer very less data back and forth through the network.

Considering the above scenario, please send your suggestions for
improvements to the above architecture. Let me know if you find any
technical risks with the above solution. Also send me any alternate
architectures that you can think about.

Thanks in advance,

Harish.