Randy Layman wrote:

> [...]

It's worse than that; an out of memory exception will kill the servlet
container, so it's not just a question of resource hogging. We have a
related problem here, in that different groups of developers write code
with, shall we say, variable levels of stability. We just run multiple
VMs, they share most of their memory allocation so it's not proved to be
a problem. We're running about twenty instances of tomcat 3 on a dual P3
800mhz linux box with 1gb ram and it copes just fine, certainly well
enough for dev work, or eager students.

Once things are tested properly, we deploy them into production
containers, and if they take those down we go developer hunting with our
office collection of nerf weaponry. Doesn't cure the bugs, but gets the
point across.

Cheers,

Tom