keith,

Yeah - Randy Layman solved it. The servlet mapping was setup to servletname/
instead of servletname/* The answer's obvious now! Whenever the servlet
created a URL like:

..../servletname/stringofnumbers

It stopped working cos that particular URL pattern wasn't mapped. It just so
happens that this only occurs when the servlet uses doPost, hence me
thinking it was a POST problem!

Re showing you the post method - I'd have trouble finding it :) The servlet
is incredibly complex - loads of classes. I'm a pretty naff Java programmer,
which doesn't help! I've only seen parts of the code - frightening stuff!
The servlet is an electronic Personal Development Planning (PDP) tool called
LUSID. It allows the user to record experiences and achievements, perform
skills audits, and plan goals and activities. Pages are create in an XML
language (lusidml) which the servlet then parses. Everything's stored in an
Oracle database. It's a bit rough around the edges and the interface is
pretty poor from a HCI perspective but otherwise it's pretty good.

Thanks,

John