From: Kevin Geraghty [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 8:37 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Tomcat 4.0.2 (rpm install on linux) fails to start

running linux, 2.2.19, Mandrake 7.0, much modified (glibc 2.2.4).

I am using the .rpm binary off the jakarta site, and have installed all the
ancillary packages (xerces-j-1.4.4-2,  regexp-1.2-1, servletapi4-4.0.2-1,
tomcat4-webapps-4.0.2-3)

The symptoms are completely silent failure.  Eight java processes do
actually
start up, but they disappear within a second.  invoking the dtomcat4 script
in debug mode yields the following:

--------------------------------
# /usr/bin/dtomcat4 debug
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /var/tomcat4
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /var/tomcat4
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /var/tomcat4/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/java/sdk
Using CLASSPATH:
/usr/java/sdk/lib/tools.jar:/var/tomcat4/bin/bootstrap.jar
Initializing jdb ...
> run
run org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start

VM Started:
The application has been disconnected
#
----------------------------------
anybody know what "the application has been disconnected" might mean?

Nothing ever gets into the catalina.out log file
I changed my jdk to 1.4 from 1.3 as an experiment; it makes no difference
I made sure the .jar files in /usr/share/java/ have symlinks in
$CATALINA_HOME/common/lib or $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib
I have changed all the debug= values in server.xml to a nonzero integer,
also
pruned server.xml, but I suspect this really has nothing to do with the
problem.

Anyone got any suggestions?  I'm stumped.