From: Joe Laffey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2002 8:27 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: IE 5 on Mac is incompatible with TC 4?

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Randy Layman wrote:

>       I haven't been following this thread but it seems like you are
> saying that Tomcat should be modified to work correctly with IE 5.  The
> problem with that is that Tomcat is an reference implementation of a
> particular spec (JSP/Servlet) which dictates how things have to work - it
is
> the reference by which all others are implemented.  It can't change to
> accommodate bugs or "special features" of client software.

Who cares if it's a "reference implementation?" If it doesn't work with
current mainstream browsers then it is useless. No company running a
ecommerce site wants to alienate all Mac IE5 users. It would be idiotic,
not mention bad business.

Tomcat must work with all current mainstream browsers (at least NS and IE)
on all all major platforms for it to be useful. Typical sers do not
upgrade their browsers. So everything else must be upgraded to work with
them, bugs and all.

My $0.02

--
Joe Laffey              |  Want to convert subnet masks between different
LAFFEY Computer Imaging |  notations, or figure the number of IPs in a