Your reply helped me alot.
Thank you very much

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Sandiford [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 11 March 2002 13:43
To: Tomcat Users List
Cc: Neo Gigs
Subject: RE: Help in JDBC

The <%! directive is strictly for declarations.

The Class.forName() line is a statement.  You can change this
in to a statement trivially thus:

Class driver = Class.forName("blahblah");

Tomcat (any jsp compiler?) will put the contents of <%!
directives in the class body for the jsp page (ie outside the
_jspService method), which leads to the syntax error you are
getting.

You may want to consider loading the driver as part of the
_jspService routine, and encapsulating in try/catch block.
This will allow you to do some error handling if the driver
fails to load for some reason.

Martin