Will

Instead of starting Tomcat by double-clicking on startup.bat, open up a
console and start Tomcat manually:
C:\>%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina run
Tomcat won't open a DOS box that promptly shuts, and you'll get a chance to
see the error msg (without having to wade through reams of unfamiliar logs,
as I had too...)

Good luck
John

 --