--- Chris Pheby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Can you give any more explicit instructions for how to do this?? It would be
> extremely useful!

Chris,

You might find the following useful:

These are instructions to set up JBuilder with Tomcat but the instructions are
more or less applicable to any IDE. Here, Tomcat is basically being launched as
the main IDE process and if the source is in the correct place and referenced,
you should be able to set breakpoints etc. The only tricky part is getting the
correct VM parameters in place when you launch it. A search of other IDE's
resources should give you a few more pointers.

I used JBuilder (free remember, although no one has yet mentioned it in this
thread!) reasonably happily until IntelliJ IDEA came along and revised all my
opinions about Java IDEs - its the best by a country mile.... JBuilder is a
little sluggish but its usable. I liked NetBeans/Forte but its just too slow.
If you find theses IDEs very slow in debugging, you can get a long way with
good old debug messages....

As for debugging with in-IDE servers - why bother when you'll have to
eventually deploy to a real target? Go with the method above and test on your
actual target...

cam