Chris

I've been skim-reading this thread so far, only just now read it properly.

I contributed to a recent thread on this topic:
http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg46851.html

We were talking, I think, about Tomcat 4 in general, but my specific
experience was (then) with Tomcat 4.0.2.  (Since then I've repeated the
process on 4.0.3).

Sorry to be basic, but have you located/read CATALINA_HOME/running.txt?  I
used that as the basis for my experiments with multiple instances.

Best of luck
John