I'm new to Tomcat (and most Java for that matter).  I have Solaris 8 with
Apache 1.3.22 and Tomcat 4.0.3. I've created the mod_webapp.so module and it
appears to work for me - in the sense that I can get the example jsp code to
run through my apache.  However, I need to also use the exhisting ACLs we
have in place (.htaccess files) and assumed that apache would handle these
but it doesn't.

Is this a glitch in my configuration or is it true that the webapp connector
will not allow the .htaccess file to be read by apache?  I started to
explore ajp13 connector to see if it could offer me something that webapp
connector didn't, but haven't been able to get ajp13 to work.

Does anyone know how I can get webapp connector to use apache's basic
authentication?  I'd really like to do the authentication on the webserver
and leave tomcat to do the applications.

Is there some syntax that I could place in the server.xml file to tell
tomcat to use apache's basic auth?  If webapp connector won't allow this, is
there another connector/method out there that can allow this?

thanks!

(P.S. sorry if this was sent out twice - not sure if my registration entry
was sent out)