<snip>

> Isn't enough of the J2EE stuff  built in Tomcat4 so that I
> could just use the "localhost" instance of tomcat in place of
> the J2EE server that is bundled with the Petstore. I checked
> docs. for Tomcat and for config attrs. like "useNaming" that
> allude to built in J2EE stuff in the InitialContexts from the
> container.
>
> My question is what options do i have to run J2EE sample
> apps. directly on Tomcat4.0.4 as a J2EE implementation?

None.  You need an J2EE server to run enterprise beans, etc.  Tomcat only
supports JSPs and Servlets (and includes a few other APIs like JNDI and
JavaMail), but doesn't include support for the full environment.  You will
need another package (like the Sun's J2EE implementation, JBoss, WebSphere,
Weblogic, etc).

        Randy