Hi,
JARs and WARs and EARs, oh my ;)

A WebApplicationArchive (WAR) contains the files for a web application,
e.g. servlets, JSPs, static files (html, images, libraries, etc.) and so
on, as well as that web application's deployment descriptor (web.xml).

An EAR typically
contains more than a WAR in that it contains EJBs and their libraries,
information, descriptors, etc.  It may also contain other,
server-specific
deployment details.  It is common for an EAR file to contain one or more
WAR files.  An EAR file will have the application descriptor,
application.xml.

Personally, I use Ant's WAR and EAR tasks to create those files.  I'm
sure
other people have their favorites, as some IDEs have built-in support
for
this.

Hope this helps,
Yoav