Balash

Do the servlet examples work?  (JSPs are ultimately servlets, but Tomcat
compiles them first.  If "normal" servlets work you can narrow down the
problem to JSPs/compilation).

Also, what 500 error are you getting - do you get a complete "stack dump"?
Could you post it here?

If the 500 error on the browser isn't very detailed, try looking in Tomcat's
logs: <CATALINA_HOME>/logs.  I'd recommend you stop Tomcat, delete (or copy
into a different location) all the existing files, restart Tomcat, try the
index.html page (check the logs), try a servlet example (check the logs),
then try a JSP example (check the logs).  Post the log results here if you
can't follow them.

Good luck!
John