Zoe,

I've read a number of the replies to your question.

I think I would recommend ditching the RPM installation and simply
downloading the binary distribution from Jakarta. When you gunzip and
untar the files, everything will be in one directory and should use the
default 8080 port. You might need to set CATALINA_HOME, but I think
thats everything, certainly there is no user creation required. The log
files will appear in the log directory which might give you more
information.

Since finding the correct port seems to be a problem, you could also try
netstat -a which will tell you what ports are in use.

Hope that helps,

Barry