From: "Ralph Einfeldt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 09:28
Subject: AW: AW: AW: sessions, security, and the RFCs

I can't find in the spec that the session shall
be maintained if you switch from http to https.

Can you provide a reference?

Wouldn't this be as dangerous as to keep the
session after you go back from SSL to non-SSL ?
As I see it, this would open the door to anyone
who could listen to the http network traffic to
steel the secure session.

| SRV.7.1.2 SSL Sessions
| Secure Sockets Layer, the encryption technology
| used in the HTTPS protocol, has a mechanism built
| into it allowing multiple requests from a client
| to be unambiguously identified as being part of a
| session. A servlet container can easily use this
| data to define a session.

| 12.8 ...
| The container must at least use SSL to respond to
| requests to resources marked integral or confidential.
| If the original request was over HTTP, the container
| must redirect the client to the HTTPS port.

<snip/>
> Servlet 2.3 (basis for Tomcat 4.x) added some specific
> requirements (such as the ability to redirect from the
> non-SSL port to the SSL port and maintain the session).
<snip/>