I am getting this error in a servlet compiled on Win2K, using JDK1.3.1 and
Tomcat 3.3 with MySQL 3.23.47:

Location: /PSSoftware/servlet/ListAllOpenBugs
Internal Servlet Error:
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at ListAllOpenBugs.doGet(ListAllOpenBugs.java:45)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java)
        at org.apache.tomcat.facade.ServletHandler.doService(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.tomcat.facade.ServletHandler.service(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.modules.server.Http10Interceptor.processConnection(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(Unknown
Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

Here is the servlet code:

public class MySQLTest extends HttpServlet
{
        public void doGet(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse res)
throws ServletException, IOException
        {
                Connection con = null;
                Statement stmt = null;
                ResultSet rs = null;

                res.setContentType("text/html");
                PrintWriter out = res.getWriter();

                try
                {
                        // Load the MySQL driver
                        Class.forName("org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver");
                        //try {

//Class.forName("twz1.jdbc.mysql.jdbcMysqlDriver");
                        //}
                        //catch(Exception e){out.println(e);}

                        // Get a connection to the database
                        con =
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/test?user=root&pass
word=typhoon");

                        // Create a statement object
                        stmt = con.createStatement();

                        // Execute and SQL query, get a result set
                        rs = stmt.executeQuery("SELECT * from test");

                        // Display the result set as a list

out.println("<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Test</TITLE></HEAD>");
                        out.println("<BODY>");
                        out.println("<UL>");
                        while(rs.next())
                        {
                                out.println("<LI>" + rs.getString("test"));
                        }
                        out.println("</UL>");
                        out.println("</BODY></HTML>");

                }
                catch (ClassNotFoundException e)
                {
                        out.println("Couldn't load the database driver-> " +
e.getMessage());
                }
                catch(SQLException e)
                {
                        out.println("SQLException caught: " +
e.getMessage());
                }

                finally
                {
                        try
                        {
                                if (con != null) con.close();
                        }
                        catch(SQLException ignored) { }
                }
        }
};

As you can see I tried this with Oracle.  I get the same result when I used
Oracle.

Thanks.

Phil Kazmier
Developer,  CEM