Adi,

You would prefer to have the SSL handshake to occur with Apache, right? So
I'm wondering, with Tomcat configured as a standalone SSL server are you
sure that apache is doing the handshake, and not Tomcat.

>At this point it "works" but I had to make the non-intuitive leap of adding
the SSL connector and thought others might benefit from knowing about it.

-You can say that again. This might be the root of my SSL problem too,
although hard to tell since we are using different apache modules and I use
Tomcat's role based auth. I "kludged a fix in code" and am limited for time
so may not attempt the exercise of getting Tomcat's SSL working.

Rich