I just downloaded  and installed Tomcat 4.0.3 on Windows 2000 with JDK
1.3.1.  After trying it out for a while I found that I was able to
access HttpSessions across ServletContexts.

I navigate to webapp "A", start an HttpSession and place some attributes
in it,  then use ServletContext.getContext("/B") to obtain the
ServletContext from webapp "B".  I forward the request, using a
RequestDispatcher, to a servlet in "B" where I am able to access the
session attributes  placed by webapp "A".  ( I set crossContext="true"
to enable this behavior)  According to section 7.3 of the  Servlet 2.3
API and the J2EE API sharing sessions across ServletContexts is not
permitted.
Several months ago we tested our application with an earlier version of
Tomcat, (3.2 I think) that worked as outlined in the Servlet API.  We
used the results of that test and the J2EE specs to file a bug report
with WebLogic's implementation.  BEA promptly fixed the problem.  Now it
seems Tomcat 4 has this problem.

Can anyone confirm or deny our findings.

--
David S. Soleno
701 Palomar Airport Rd.