Has any one had success creating a pooling datasource for mysql in tomcat
4?

I was able to successfully create a functional datasource jdni resource
based on the instructions in the jndi resources HOW-TO

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html

But there doesn't appear to be any pooling of connections (or my minimum
poolsize is being ignored).

Should I scrap the resource creation in the server.xml, and just create
the datasource in my startup servlet's init?

Should I be explicitly be using the datasource implementation that came
with the jdbc driver (mm.mysql), such as
org.gjt.mm.mysql.jdbc2.optional.MysqlConnectionPoolDataSource rather than
javax.sql.DataSource?

This seems like a pretty common task, but none of the related messages
I've found in the archive seem to have an answer..

Thanks.

daryn