Hello, and thanks to Ralph and others who tried to help me with this problem on the
first go-round. I've got new information in my possession, and I'd like to try again.

To recap:
Our environment
Windows 2000 Server (sorry) with SP2 (we're moving to Linux, I promise!)
Apache v1.3.23
Tomcat v3.3a (running as a NT service)
Sun JDK 1.3.1_02

Our problem
Occasionally, especially after editing a JSP file or files, Tomcat will suddenly fail
to find the .java and .class files that go with a
particular JSP. Looking in the "work" directory reveals that the files exist, but when
we attempt to access that particular JSP thru Apache, we get 404 - File Not Found.
The Apache error.log file gives no indication of a problem. The access.log file shows
normal file access.

Upon checking, we find the following sorts of entries in Tomcat's jvm.stderr file on
the server:

2002-04-17 17:21:48 - Ctx(/CATS) : Class not found: TOMCAT/JSP/Math/Practice/MP6.jsp
2002-04-17 17:21:48 - Ctx(/CATS) : Status code:404 request:R( /CATS +
/Math/Practice/MP6.jsp + null) msg:null
2002-04-17 17:21:50 - Ctx(/CATS) : Status code:404 request:R( /CATS +
/Math/Practice/MP6.jsp + null) msg:null
2002-04-17 17:21:52 - Ctx(/CATS) : Status code:404 request:R( /CATS +
/Math/Practice/MP6.jsp + null) msg:null

We have had some success in causing this problem to go away by shutting down the
Apache and Tomcat services, deleting the appropriate .java and .class (and .ver)
files, restarting the Tomcat and Apache services, and hitting Reload on the browser.
Sometimes (about 50% of the time) when we do this, Tomcat suddenly "finds" the files
and the JSP runs, new .java and .class files are created, and we get the proper
output. The remaining 50% of the time, it falls to one of two happenstances. Either
(30%) we do the shutdown-services-and-delete routine followed by a reboot and the
problem goes away, or (20%) we keep retrying on different clients until the problem
suddenly vanishes.

This problem is intermittent. Sometimes we'll get it with FOO.JSP but not BAR.JSP.
We'll then take a corrective action (described above) and suddenly we'll get it with
BAR.JSP but not FOO.JSP. Both JSP files are very similar, and there's nothing exotic
about our coding. Sometimes the problem goes away with some waiting.

This happens with both IE and Netscape clients, and with clients on different networks
and behind different firewall/proxy situations, so we don't think that firewall, proxy
or other network architecture issues are contributing factors. This happens to clients
on the same LAN as the servers.

Needless to say, we're quite perplexed, and don't understand what is going wrong. If
anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, please respond.

David Bank
NC CATS Project Manager
Accountability Services - Testing
NC Department of Public Instruction