i don't see how tomcat can possibly do this.  it's an
operating system call not available to java apps.  i
suppose you can make a jni library call but will work
only on unix platforms, a different jni library will
have to be build for every supported unix os, and make
the system non-100%-java.

if you want tomcat to answer port 80 and want it to run
as non-root, then your best bet is to run apache in
front of it.  that's what i currently do on one of my
servers.

                     - david -