Hi Eric,

If your log is empty you may not have CATALINA_HOME set up correctly.  If
you used a Tomcat 3.x and are using some old scripts they may have
TOMCAT_HOME set up in them.  They will need to be changed to CATALINA_HOME.

You should see some messages in the logs.  Are the permissions of the log
folders set up so that the owner of the Tomcat process can get at them.

Rick