Hi,
Not sure if this helps but are you sure that the tomcat user doesn't also need
to have the oracle library paths defined if you are reliant on native calls?

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=<oraclehome/lib>:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Add this to a startup script for Tomcat. I've had to do something similar to
get jdbc drivers to work in the past (Oracle..I think, and DB2), mind you not
with tomcat

Jeff