While that technically works, it launches a separate tomcat instance within
the single JVM instance.  Watch the logs in catalina.out and you see that
for each WebAppDeploy line a new instance is launched.  This offers
functionality, but sharing resources is never a good idea if you want any
scalability.  This site is expected to get 550 concurrent sessions at any
time.  This will not work out in such a demanding environment.

Basically the line:

Thu Apr 25 05:22:07 : 204 : TRACE : system : targetHost  :bt1.domain.com

Suggests that tomcat launches using the one instance per targetHost.  If you
have one WebAppDeploy and regardless of how you got there (proxy,
mod_rewrite, virtual hosts etc) once you access any resource from the webapp
directory, you get forwarded to http://targetHost/webapp and you lose the
user supplied prefix (bad thing).

Any other suggestions out there?  There has to be a way to restrict (or add)
more than one targetHost for tomcat to allow several access methods.

Brian