From: Raja Sekhar [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2002 5:30 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: SSL certificate help!

Hi,

Follow these steps to configure your digital id

1. generate a local certificate:
   keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA -keystore <myfile> where
<myfile> is the name of the desired keystore-file

2. generate the CSR (you need it to request your (demo)certificate)
   keytool -certreq -keyalg RSA -alias tomcat -file certreq.pem
-keystore
<myfile>
   now you have a file called "certreq.pem". Send this to your
trustcenter.

Note : You can skip steps 1 & 2 becoz u said, u already got a verisign
certificate. But make sure that u have done these steps only to send your
demo cert. to verisign.

3. Goto verisign & download TrustedCA Root Certificate which they give for
the browser. The downloaded file name would be getcacert. Now use the
following command to import that into trust store

keytool -import -alias root -keystore <myfile> -trustcacerts -file
<root-cert-file>

4. Now import your verisign certificate with this command

keytool -import -alias tomcat -keystore <myfile> -trustcacerts -file
<received-cert-file>

With the above 4 steps, u r ready with your keystore. Now goto server.xml &
search for "        <Http10Connector  port="8443" secure="true" />"

Uncomment the above line & add the following changes

 <Http10Connector  port="8443" secure="true"
  keystoreFile = "path of your keystore"
  keypass = "if u give anything other than changeit"
  socketFactory = "org.apache.tomcat.net.SSLSocketFactory"
/>

I think this should solve your problem. All the best.

Regards,

..Raj
--

On Mon, 6 May 2002 15:57:03    t.riteshmenon wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I have got a  Trial SSL Server Digital ID from Verisign . I would like to
>know how to configure it with tomcat(3.2.1) . i'm trying to enable ssl
>with tomcat.
>any help in this regard would be most welcome.
>
>thanks in advance
>Ritesh
-
>This message contains privileged and confidential information and is
>intended only for the individual named.If you are not the intended
recipient
>you should not disseminate,distribute,store,print, copy or deliver this
>message.Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
>this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.E-mail
>transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information
>could be intercepted,corrupted,lost,destroyed,arrive late or incomplete or
>contain viruses.The sender therefore does not accept liability for any
>errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result
>of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a
>hard-copy version.
>For additional commands: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Troubles with the list: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Join 18 million Eudora users by signing up for a free Eudora Web-Mail
account at http://www.eudoramail.com