Howdy,
Check for non-daemon threads still running somewhere in your apps, or
3rd party code you apps use.  Tomcat 4.0.2 eliminated the System.exit()
call in the shutdown code, for better compliance with embedded tomcat
users.

There's a thread about System.exit(), check the archives ;)  See also
the Thread docs about shutting down daemon vs. non-daemon threads.

Yoav Shapira
ChemInformatics