> In other words, this package has internal references to Catalina classes?
> Yuck ...

no.
It has nothing to do /w Catalina. The Realm I developed is the only thing
that directly references Catalina classes.

The package the Realm uses to access the Database is a totally self
contained
encapsulation of our data model and It is used by other applications.
It handles all Database access. It is our internal standard.
I have servelets that have access this package as well.

It would be similar if I was using the ORO regexp package in the
Realm and in a Servlet. So I would have to place the oro jar file
in common\lib and server\lib? xerces is in the common\lib but I would
assume is used internally by tomcat.