Using the default memory realm I have modified the Tomcat server.xml to
store the passwords encrypted as follows :

<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.MemoryRealm" digest="MD5" />

This works fine.

For my tests I would also like to use digest authorization to transfer the
password over the wire. To do this I put the following in my web.xml file

<login-config>
      <auth-method>DIGEST</auth-method>
</login-config>

When I access the protected web page from a browser (Mozilla or IE5.5) I get
the appropriate login dialog box. However I can't log in from either
browser. What am I doing wrong.

Shimon Crown

(Note - I know that using memory realm isn't a great idea but it is useful
for the testing phase).