--- Gary Frick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>    I've been working day and night trying to get
> Tomcat started and to get past the HTTP 500 error
> when trying to invoke the JSP examples.  I've been
> combing the archives, but I'm not seeing any real
> solutions.  What must I do and where must I go to
> get help?
>
>    First it would be helpful to know what is going
> on.  When I try to start Tomcat I get the following
> (See below. Only providing first few lines of
> trace).  When I try //localhost/examples  I can
> execute the servlets, but not the JSPs.  On the JSPs
> I always get HTTP Status 500 messages.  I've
> followed the recommendations to recheck the
> classpaths and environment variables (JAVA_HOME and
> TOMCAT_HOME), but this hasn't helped.  For one thing
> I don't understand why port 8080 is already in use.
> How can I check?
>
> Thanks,
> Gary
>
> Catalina.start: LifecycleException:  null.open:
> java.net.BindException: Address
>  already in use: JVM_Bind:8080
> LifecycleException:  null.open:
> java.net.BindException: Address already in use:
>  JVM_Bind:8080
>         at

org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector.initialize(HttpConne
> ctor.java:1130)
>         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.j
> ava:454)
>         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.jav
> a:553)
>         at

org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:780)
>         at

org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:681)
>         at

org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
>         at
> sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
> Method)
>         at
> sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown
> Source)
>         at

sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown
> Source)
>         at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown
> Source)
>         at

org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)
> ----- Root Cause -----
> java.net.BindException: Address already in use:
> JVM_Bind:8080
>         at

org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector.open(HttpConnector.j
> ava:950)

Are you using windows or *nix? Do you have another web
server or other server program running on your box
that might be listening on port 8080? Do you have a
java compiler installed? JSPs require a compiler, not
just the jre.

=====
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Hacking is a "Good Thing!"