Hi,

I'm struggling with Tomcat4.0.3 with Apache2.0 these days and I need
help to make it work.
The problem is, /manager of Tomcat 4.0.3 doesn't work (see the error
message below) when it is connected through Apache 2.0, while /manager
works if only Tomcat4.0.3 is used.

********
java.lang.SecurityException: Servlet of class
org.apache.catalina.servlets.ManagerServlet is privileged and cannot be
loaded by this web application.
********

In addition, clicking "Tomcat Documentation" on Tomcat top page does
stop working (the error message: The requested resource (/tomcat-docs)
is not available), while adding "/" at the end of URL on the browser
leads to Tomcat documentation page without any problem.

Any modifications of the config-related files of both Tomcat and
Apache2.0 don't help so far.

I'm using the following packages on Dell PowerEdge1650 / RedHat7.2
(2.4.9-31smp):
*the same sympton is observed on RedHat7.2 (2.4.7-10).

- Apache 2.0 (httpd-2.0.36.tar.gz)
- tomcat4-4.0.3-1.noarch.rpm
- tomcat4-webapps-4.0.3-1.noarch.rpm
- tomcat-connectors-1.0-1.4.0.2.src.rpm
- xerces-j-1.4.4.-2.noarch.rpm
- regexp-1.2-1.noarch.rpm
- servletapi4-4.0.3-1.noarch.rpm

The changes made in config-related files to connect from Apache2.0 to
Tomcat4.0.3 are:
- Apache
o use port80 to access to Tomcat
o add mod_webapp.so (generated from tomcat-connectors' src package)
o add entries to httpd.conf
   LoadModule webapp_module modules/mod-webapp.so
   WebAppConnection    warpConn    warp    localhost:8008
   WebAppDeploy    ROOT    warpConn    /
   WebAppDeploy    examples    warpConn    /examples/
   WebAppDeploy    manager    warpConn    /manager/
   WebAppDeploy    tomcat-docs    warpConn    /tomcat-docs
- Tomcat4.0.3
o disable all "Connector" in server.xml

"Tomcat Manager Context" entry in server.xml is properly defined as:
    <Context path="/manager" docBase="manager" debug="0"
privileged="true"/>
and tomcat-users.xml has the entry of:
    <user name="manager" password="manager" roles="manager"/>

Has anyone come across the same problem?  Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thank you.

Masako Kinoshita