i have the same problem (found out yesterday).

it might be specific to/when running with IBM JDK (don't know).
what i did so far was

    [tim-mn@spiderman src]$ ps -efd|grep tomcat.home

find the %JAVA_HOME%/bin/java -Dtomcat.home ... process with PPID = 1
(the mother of devil's spawn)
and KILL IT!!!

    [tim-mn@spiderman src]$ kill 6203 # e.g.

gurus do this in one line. as i said: found out about 9 hours ago slept
since ;)