From: Rutledge, Aaron
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 7:21 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Enabling SSL in tomcat

Hello,
    I keep seeing the topic of SSL configuration come up, but I have yet
heard anyone with a simmilar problem as mine.  I am surprised this can
be so problematic since it seems so straight forward.

I tried using Joaquin's example and got the same exception...

StandardWrapperValve[jsp]: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw
exception
java.lang.IllegalStateException
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.ResponseFacade.getWriter(ResponseFacade.ja
va:159)

Anyone have any idea why the connector would throw this kind of
exception?  As soon as I remove the connector Tomcat loads fine.  Here
is my current connector configuration in server.xml...

<Connector className="org.apache.tomcat.service.PoolTcpConnector">

<Parameter name="handler"
value="org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler"/>

<Parameter name="port" value="8443"/>

<Parameter name="socketFactory"
value="org.apache.tomcat.net.SSLSocketFactory" />

<Parameter name="keystore" value="C:\Documents and
Settings\*******\.keystore" />

<Parameter name="keypass" value="*******" />

</Connector>

I also received the same exception using the example configuration.  I
wish I at least knew where to start looking.  I've read over the How To
a million times.  Is it as simple as adding the jcert.jar, jnet.jar,
jsse.jar files to the jre/lib/ext directory, creating a .keyfile and
adding the connector in server.xml?  Am I missing something?  I read
through some of the docs sun provides with JSSE and it mentions adding
some information to java.security.  I tried that without success.  Can
anyone tell me if they can think of any steps that I might have missed?
I am going crazy.
Best regards to all, Aaron