From:   Drew Sudell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   24 May 2002 17:53
To:     Tomcat Users List
Subject:        [OT] Re: Using ANT - Crash course needed

Donie Kelly writes:
 > Hi all
 >
 > Is there any good docs out there apart from the apache ones which will
get
 > me up to speed with ant quickly. Could somebody answer the following
 > questions...

There are pointers to a number of articles, examples, FAQs etc on Ant
on the resources page for the Ant project

http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/resources.html

 > a) Can ant be used to do installs like copying files - editing properties
 > etc...

Yes.  The copy task will copy files or directory hierarchies.  When
installing from archives, I've found the unzip/untar/unjar tasks
useful.  The PropertyFile task works for editing properties.

 > b)
 > Can ant check that the file list has made it into the war/jar

Not sure what you're asking on this.  Do you mean comparing a external
list of files that "should be in a jar" to what is empirically in the
jar?

If so, I don't see a trivial way to do it -- but that doesn't mean a
non-trivial way can not be contrived.  [Various schemes involving jar
tvf and diff start to run thought my head.]

 > c) Can ant work faster than make. Make is slow for java stuff... (we
 > currently use  make)

Depends what you are doing.  But for compiling Java code, yes.  What
most people typically do building Java via make is to fork off a javac
for each file.  Unfortunately that implies starting a whole new JVM
(assuming a Java based compiler, ie not jikes).  Ant runs the compiles
inside the existing JVM, so you get a big win there.

 > Thanks
 > Donie
 >
 > Ps: does anybody know is it easy to convert PVCS archives to CVS?

Depends how much history you want to keep.  When I did that many years
ago, I just exported the head of the tree and checked it in.

If there is a way to export the PVCS archive to RCS files, which I
seem to recall there was, then you can just copy the RCS files into
CVSROOT.

Actually, in the contrib directory of CVS there's a perl script called
pvcs_to_rcs that looks like it will build RCS archives from PVCS
archives by successive exports of each revision.

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 > For additional commands, e-mail:
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

By the way, you may want to try the ant-user list for the Ant
questions.  It's run from the same server at Jakarta.  If I recall,
there was a cvs-info list for cvs.  There are pointers to the Ant
mailing list and archives for it in the Ant docs at
http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/manual/feedback.html
A good starting point for CVS is  http://www.cvshome.org/

--
        Drew Sudell     [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.op.net/~asudell