What is officially supported is documented in section 4 of
the RUNNING.txt document:

<http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/RUNNING.txt>
or
<http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/RUNNING.txt>

If you want to deviate from this, I recommend you go ahead and
try it.  Then post if you run into problems for which you can't
find a workaround.  It is time consuming to predict what might
go wrong based on what you might or might not attempt to do in
your actual configuration.

Cheers,
Larry