Phillip Morelock wrote:

>On 5/25/02 6:20 AM, "jfc100" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Can someone tell me how tomcat stores session objects or at least where
>>I could find out this info without looking at the src?
>>

>without looking at the source?  why not?  it's Free, and it's the most
>authoritative answer you can get.
>
>>Thanks
>>Joe
>>

>fillup
>

>--

Maybe I just feel like getting someone else's opinion. Because, where
reading the src is excellent excercise, you may not find what the
general policies are regarding any particular feature.   What you will
get is a precise picture of what the product does at that specific point
in time(or for that specific version). I am trying to establish the
broad policies of a  servlet engine implementation - the reference
implementation. If one was going to produce a document which introduced
the product's features I would expect to find this kind of information
in it. So if the servlet spec is a bit vague perhaps the document might
mention a few implementation details. Not an all-out volume of commentry
- just the general approach taken.

Seeing as tomcat has undergone a fair bit of development and has been
subjected to some structural changes between recent releases(i.e. 3.x vs
4.0), I thought my first port of call might be to find a long suffering
fellow tomcat-user who may have passed on a few helpful hints or his/her
take on the big picture (or part thereof, even) - just because he can.

Can someone point me to a reference / tech article or discussion? Does
anyone know whether or not the way the session management is handled by
tomcat has changed in any major way? Are there any caveats to accessing
session objects from multiple simultaneous requests? The way this is
implementated in the reference implementation (between specs) I would
have thought would be documented somewhere other than in the src code.

Regards
Joe